The main objective of a lead magnet is to attract potential customers, just like a magnet attracts metal. It is a kind of a gift that we provide to our users in exchange for their contact information.
Essential lead magnet features
There’s a set of characteristics your lead magnet has to have in order to be truly effective. First, it has to be very specific. After all, you should have a specific target audience for the said magnet, with concrete and real needs. Therefore, you have to pinpoint the magnet’s attractive spot perfectly. A proper client research is a must step if you want to do this well.
This first point is the fundamental one – if you fail to apply it, everything else will go to waste. In addition, you should use your lead magnet ideas to solve a problem or satisfy an important need of your potential client, in order to turn them into a real client. You offer solutions in one click, and that’s what everyone likes. Basically, your lead magnet should provide quicker and still very effective solutions to a certain problem.
The best thing is to provide something – an e-book, a video, a tool, etc. – that your audience really wants to take advantage of. Thus, they will be happy to leave your email in return. Never forget that you ask for information in exchange for your offer! An effective lead magnet manages to put the user in a different condition. They are still not customers, because they did not buy anything from your company, but they did like something and valued it as much as to leave their mail. This is a key point: the goal is not just to attract users so that you can give things away. The goal is always to convert contacts into customers.
So, if your lead magnet ideas and offers are good, and the users have quickly expressed interest in them, you’ll be a lot closer to converting them fully. What you offer has to be free, but not without value. Offer something with a market value. It may be that everyone likes the magnet, and download it, but if the content is not appropriate and meaningful the magic of it all won’t work, and the user will stop at that stage of the conversion funnel. In addition, a good lead magnet is something that the user can “consume” quickly.
Essentially, an effective lead magnet is simple and fast to get and equally quick to enjoy. Therefore, it’s better to offer a .pdf worksheet, or a tool to organize tasks, than a 200 page e-book about time management. Not only is fast better because it is more attractive, but because the lead magnet is straight to the point at the beginning of your conversion funnel. You don’t want users dealing with your magnet for months before developing an opinion. To complete the first point of conversion, don’t forget to thank the users who download your content.
Examples of lead magnet ideas
- Guides/Reports are the most used lead magnets at the moment. Make them as specific as possible.
- Worksheets (for example task lists, flowcharts, etc.). Very interesting day-to-day tools.
- Prospects or lists of resources. Perfect for most online businesses.
- Videos, as guides or demonstrations. You should always have appropriate means to record an interesting video.
- Free software trial. Depending on the business, this can make the difference between a lead and a customer.
- Discount vouchers or free shipping. Perfect for online and physical stores that want to expand sales.
- Contests or surveys. They are the most popular lead magnets, and a lot of users like them so make them fun.
- Evaluation or test. It can work very well, depending on the type of business. It is about offering an evaluation about something important for the user (speed of the server, for example).
- Sales material as catalogs. Especially if it is delivered online, it is a perfect example of the dynamic “need-satisfaction” process.
There are other factors aside from great lead magnet ideas that can affect your conversion rate. For starters, professional web design and overall development of your business website are crucial. This is where TechBear can help you. Aside from expert web design and development, you can count on TechBear when it comes to regular website maintenance, top notch SEO, ADA audits, valuable blog/website content and social media management. For those of you who want to check the functionality of their current website first, TechBear has prepared free SEO test.